Sunday, April 13, 2008

Kyle: Data by gender specific aid

Figured I'd email this one, since folks might not check for an updated blog on a regular basis. Scott--thanks for making the assignments....but I won't be able to look at this stuff over the next two days. My diss chair has asked me to take a look at a new set of variables for my dissertation, and that's going to take the bulk of my time for a while (in addition to my 8-5 job every damn day).....sometimes I wish I was faculty!! I'll try to look at this a little bit over the next week, but I don't know how much raw data I'll be able to collect in that time.

As far as the numbers by sport....what's there is the participation by sport. The athletic aid by sport is NOT there -- that's only totals by gender. But the participation numbers are by sport (and gender of course). So that's what I was referring to in my blog from Friday night. That's where I think we can look at the sport-specific numbers---for the participation, and combined with NCAA scholarship limits for each sport, we can see if a given school at least has the number of athletes on the roster at the scholarship max. Then we can take the total athletic aid by gender and divide it by the max number of possible scholarships the school COULD be giving out, and that would tell us if the school is providing the max amount of athletic aid they're allowed to provide, given the sports they're offering and the numbers on the roster.

--Kyle
\

Doctoral Candidate, Higher Education
The Pennsylvania State University

1 comment:

SHirko said...

Kyle - THIS IS PERFECT. Thanks; I saw the detail on this from Welch re: participation rates, but thought you might have actual dollars.

Your analysis should be dead on and very useful specifics by gender... Great job -- no worries on your part. We'll just proceed with what we have and look on this site by the end of the week for more specifics.

Thanks!

Scott