Thursday, April 17, 2008

Post Moved

Hey Guys,

I posted this in an earlier comments section, but didn't get any response so am moving it up to a main post.

I think we should be mindful that there are additional monies available from the NCAA on a student by student basis (even for those who are considered “full ride”). Special assistance funds totaled $12.3 million in 2006-7 with $7 million for clothing, $2.6 for medical expenses, and $159,000 for emergency travel. The student-athlete opportunity fund exceeded $27 million during the same time frame and went to provide individual computers, summer school tuition, insurance or medical bills, and support for additional educational programs and related expenses. Neither of these funds counts towards or against the student-athletes scholarship amounts. If the costs of attendance were truly covered by an athletics scholarship, many of these items would not be available to “full-ride” students. These additional funds can be critical for the equivalency sports participants, as well as the head count sports participants.

I am intrigued by the role of the NCAA on this issue. With such strong oversight in some areas (APR, grad rates, etc.), I am interested to see how their policies impact the divide that seems to exist. Is this really a regional, conference or institutional issue, or do we have a governing organization which is helping to foster (or counter) this divide? If agreeable to group, I would like to continue to explore this.

Guys for me, so much of the “size” of this project depends on exactly how many regions/ conferences/ institutions we plan to incorporate into this project, especially if we plan to go institution to institution. I think if we devised a plan for a reasonable (whatever that means) number of institutions this could be completed by ASHE. If we wanted a more far reaching project we should probably consider other presentation opportunities.

JZ (but not the one married to Beyonce)

No comments: