Monday, April 21, 2008

So What II

As we have all voiced at one point or another, this project has the potential to be enormous….boarders on impossible. I like Welch’s suggestion for a male/female institutional comparison or a comparison of 2 conferences. They seem like realistic options with our time constraints. We could really spend years addressing our big picture questions.

I also wanted to touch on Kyle’s “so what?” question. It has been my experience that parents, institutions and student-athletes alike are all unaware of differential between the cost of attendance and athletics scholarship amounts. In many circles, the assumption still exists that if one is granted an athletics scholarship then everything (or most everything) is paid for. Regardless of what we find, I, like Scott, do think it matters to know what these differentials look like. I think parents do want to know the truth on the topic. I think faculty and non-athletics administration need to know. I think students deserve to know. Decisions at multiple levels are being based on these concepts. I think there will be many (not just parents) who will care about the findings.

JZ

No comments: