Monday, April 21, 2008

so what?

Kyle provides some good real-world cautions about what we're trying to do here, and unfortunately this is the first chance I've had to revisit this, being home with the flu today. But I think there are some good wider research questions we can get to with the limited scholarship data we have, augmented by institutional data and potentially some finer analysis by conference and/or institutional type, to wit:

* are there systematic differences in the proportion of costs covered for male and female athletes, looking at the U-Wash example?

* are there such differences between the haves and have-nots? The answer may seem obvious, but if scholarships to MAC schools are systematically worth less (based on per-capita costs relative to cost of attendance) than those to Big Ten schools, it would be an interesting commentary on the MAC members' struggles to remain in Division I-A.

* Especially at the lower end of D-I and in D-II, how do per-capita scholarship allocations compare to other financial aid allocations, especially merit aid? (I think this is available through IPEDS.) If a college is awarding $2MM in athletic grants and $1MM in institution-based financial aid, that seems noteworthy to me.

Any of these would seem to be interesting and worthwhile questions to pursue, and I'm sure you guys can come up with others. A couple of technical details...comments aren't shown automatically, so it's probably best to add posts instead of comments. Second, does anyone know how to get RSS feeds for this? I keep getting error messages saying I don't have permission for same.

Cheers,
Welch

3 comments:

SHirko said...

Welch, first off - GET WELL. My daughter also has the flu, so I am managing at home.

Second, thanks for your input. I will have a decent working draft to share tonight, but we are are on the same wavelength here re: gender and region/competitiveness argumetns, and I think you spell out our investigation fairly well...

I think Jennifer's input is useful by demonstrating the other ways that institutions find ways to meet their student needs above and beyond, or in alternative to, the cost of attendance.

I WILL have something to post by midnight tonight... screw my COM 860 class, this is more fun AND more important... :)

Scott

SHirko said...

PS - let me see if I can get the damn RSS thing working...

SHirko said...

RSS does not work on this thing...

"(Note): If you enable a feed, it is available to anybody with a feed reader, either a feed reader that they personally use, or one built in to a blog. There is no option to limit feed access - feeds are available, equally, to all interested parties. This is why feeds are not available for limited access (private) blogs.

If you fear that unknown parties might steal content from your blog by using your feed, don't publish a Full feed, publish a Short feed. This will require anybody wishing to read a complete post to access your blog, rather than reading it in their newsreader."

http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/2007/07/what-is-my-blog-site-feed.html

Therefore, if you are all amenable to this, I'll open this up to the public and allow for RSS, but will have to moderate this for external comments/membership.

You learn something new every day...

Scott